Printing directly to the printer.

David Summers david at actsn.fay.ar.us
Wed Feb 21 03:22:35 AEST 1990

I have a question regarding the way the print spooler works on Xenix:
Mainly, I need to print directly to the printer (if nothing else is printing
to it at the time).  Therefore, I need to find out the procedure for locking
the print spooler.  In my programs, I will write a small subroutine that will
try to attempt a lock on the printer and if it can't obtain the lock then it
will print to the printer spooler instead of directly to the printer.  Could
anyone advise me as to how this could be done?  Right now, any time I need to
print a large file, it takes up a lot more disk space because I have to spool
it to the printer rather than just print directly.  If I could do it my way
then that would save a lot of disk space (normally).

I asked this question a few months ago and got the response from several people
that there was no need to do what I was suggesting.  I think that saving disk
space is an adequate need.

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
   - David Summers

--
David Summers                "Be Original! Drink Dr. Pepper like everyone else!"
(David.Summers at actsn.fay.ar.us)