Smail (2.5/3.0) for XENIX.

Brad Lanam bll at seer
Sat Feb 24 04:16:20 AEST 1990

    I have smail 2.5 up and running under Xenix.  This is the first I
have heard of Xenix patches.  I did read one posting describing how to
install it -- you simply replace '/usr/lib/mail/execmail' with a link
to smail and be sure to put the command "set execmail" in
'/usr/lib/mail/mailrc'.

    The one problem I have with it is when I send a message to multiple
off-site users (e.g. mail foo at uunet bar at ucbvax), smail creates a uux
control file that tells my link to execute the command
"rmail foo at uunet bar at ucbvax".  Unfortunately, my feed's standard Xenix
rmail program cannot handle multiple addresses and bombs.  The Xenix
rmail apparently cannot handle multiple "To:" addresses -- if you want
to do this you must use the "Cc:" field in the mail message itself.

    Does anyone know if this is a bug in smail or a bug in the Xenix rmail
program?  Also, does anyone know where smail 3.0 is archived?  I tried
alphacm and got a smalltalk archive (my mail to sandy is sitting in uunet's
queue waiting for zardoz).

--
Brad Lanam        ...!uunet!seeker!seer!bll     bll at seer