strings.h

Art Neilson art at pilikia.uucp
Tue Feb 13 19:06:26 AEST 1990

In article <8 at robecdc.UUCP> ghost at robecdc.UUCP (William.A.Sneed) writes:
>In article <1762 at milton.acs.washington.edu> milton at milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:
>>I keep running into the same error...'cannot find strings.h'  It
>>apparently did not come with my developmnent system, but a lot of
>>programs seem to expect it as a standard library...Any help appreciated..
>>
>>Steve Milton...milton at milton.u.washington.edu
>
>Who what when where why how  hunh!?!
>	If you have SCO it was included
>	If your program has #include "strings.h" that's your problem
>	Should be <strings.h> to use the system's library

This blatantly in error.  System V *has no* strings.h, the file is
called string.h.  BSD systems call string.h strings.h.  Please check
your facts before whipping out responses like the above.

Whenever I run across errors regarding include files I (1) check the
makefile to ensure I have the right defines turned on  (2) add preprocessor
support for inclusions if step (1) is correct.  A simple #ifdef is all
it takes ...

#ifdef USG
# include <string.h>
#else
# include <strings.h>
#endif

Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root at trout.nosc.mil
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root