pkzip

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 01:30:49 AEST 1990

[ Zip for XENIX ]

Maybe there aren't much DOS users around here but:

The current PKZIP (1.02) uses a different compression algorithm than
the versions before 1.00. This was done to keep up with the
competition of LHarc, wich generated smaller files than PKZIP 0.9x.
The 'new' ZIP is substantially slower, but still faster than LHarc,
and can compress a little smaller than LHarc. (Just my general
impressions / tests)

The unzip that is available for UNIX only decompresses the old format
.ZIP files. I've got it, if anyone wants it, mail me.

Meanwhile, I am interested in an (un)zip that can handle the new ZIP
format. Anyone? The only decent archiver for UNIX now is zoo, but the
compression ratios are not good enough, and the user interface is too
clumsy. I'm really looking to switch.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)