uucico failure

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Feb 13 03:27:56 AEST 1990

In article <850 at stsim.ocs.com> glenn at stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>uucico:
>IN SEND/SLAVE MODE (INPUT FAILED)
>what cause's this, and is there any fix?  I am running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.1,
>any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This just means that the uucico was expecting data and didn't get any.  If
it only happens rarely, you are probably just losing the line due to a
bad connection.  If it's consistent, look for one of the following:
 1) Something in the connect path (modems, packet network, terminal
    concentrator) has software flow control enabled (xon/xoff).  Modems
    that do speed switching and data compression normally have this as
    an option and it must be off for uucp.
 2) One of the modems (or a network PAD) has an escape character that
    puts the device in command mode. The Hayes plus-plus-plus (guess
    why I don't type it literally) sequence requires a time delay around
    it to take effect but it's still possible and many other modems don't
    require the delay.  Lots of network PADS use the DLE (data-link-escape)
    character to go to command mode and the uucp 'g' protocol is loaded
    with DLE's.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us