Big Disk Advice Requested

Rick Farris rfarris at serene.UUCP
Thu Feb 15 18:00:52 AEST 1990

I am considering the purchase of a large (600 - 700 Mb) hard-drive,
and an esdi controller.  I'd appreciate any comments that you may
have.

I've pretty much decided on a WD 1007 controller, but I notice that
there are several versions around.  I understand that some come with
a built in floppy controller and some don't, but there seem to be
more than two versions.  I've seen them advertised with "dual 8k
caches," and also with "32k cache."  I think that what I want is a
WD1007?-SE2, should the ? be an A or a V?  I want the fastest/best
one (vs. the fastest/cheap one), would someone point me in the right
direction?

I'm considering a CDC Wren VI 660 Mb drive.  Does anyone have any
comments on the suitability of this drive with the 1007 controller
for use under SCO UNIX?

I've seen 660 Mb Wren VIs and 620 Mb Wren Vs -- other than 40 Mb,
what is the difference between them?

Am I overlooking anything?  Any general advice?

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris at serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757