VP/IX

Perry Minyard 3MTA3 perry at bluemtn.uucp
Fri Feb 23 15:47:56 AEST 1990

In article <90022010211903 at masnet.uucp> mark.levy at canremote.uucp (MARK LEVY) writes:
>To: h_les at hlborl.UUCP (les brown)
>
>hP>In article <90020606211361 at masnet.uucp>, mark.levy at canremote.uucp
>hP>(MARK LEVY) writes: > Regarding accessing the DOS partition, you only
>hP>have read access.
>
>hP>When I encountered that little hitch, I thought it obvious to change
>hP>the permissions on my DOS partition (which worked fine).  Am I
>hP>compromising something somewhere?  I do *all* my DOS stuff in and
>hP>from my DOS partition.
>
>   I am hesitant about writing across the partition boundries,
>but then I don't know if damage could result.  I do know that the
>VP/ix manual says to _NEVER_ run VP/ix as root, which would allow
>you to write to the device.
>
>Mark

I've got SCO Xenix 2.3.3. running with 2 drives.   Drive 0 is an 80 meg
seagate ST-4086, and and Drive 1 is a 20meg ST-225 formatted with MS-DOS.
I never did any special partitioning to the Drive 1; it existed before I even
installed Xenix on my system.   I just added the line:

       D    /dev/hd10

to my vpix.cnf file.   I had to go into /dev and change the permission
to give myself write access to the device (/dev/hd10), ....
actually I just changed the owner of it to me.  (its my home system
and there are no other users).  Anyhow, I've been able to
read and write to my 20 meg drive without any problems.

-Perry Minyard
..!emory!bluemtn!perry