Using UUCP under a BBS system???

Ken McVay kmcvay at oneb.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 05:37:09 AEST 1990

In article <237 at elrond.locus.com>, sandy at locus.com (Sandy Zelkovitz) writes:

> Unfortunately, you completely forgot about the Additional Features Section
> of XBBS. As you know, the System Administrator can select any external
> program and/or shell script as a feature for his users. Also, this you

As a novice to Xenix, Sandy, I can tell you that I avoid offering many
features via bbs shells, simply because I do not know how to protect the
system from abuse, should a user know how to shell to the o/s from, say,
vnews or vi. For that reason, I continue to look for a bbs that will
permit me to offer my users access to uucp mail and selected newsgroups,
while eliminating unwanted shells.

I know AKCS will handle this, but I keep hoping something less expensive
will come along (I've been spoiled by Opus/Fido/FrontDoor/SEAdog quality -
the dos world abounds with superb packages at reasonable prices) so that
I can take full advantage of the power of this system. Consider - at the
moment, my Xenix system collects the mail and delivers it to my FrontDoor-
Opus (read: MS-DOS) system, where folks can call in and access the mail.

I know that represents a horrid waste of resources, but it's SAFE, I can
control the access totally, and don't have the security concerns that
exist on the Xenix side, due to my lack of experience.

I'd be delighted to see a bbs package that would let me offer the mail
to my users right HERE, at the source, without shelling anywhere. Ideally,
this bbs software would understand the news, protect moderated groups,
etc. without using vnews, rn, whatever.

Perhaps in a year or two I might be comfortable with shelling to specified
executables, but no way I'll permit it now....maybe one of you guys
with the talent will provide our "dream system" one day, even though, from
your point of view, it's already here :-)

cheers/
--
1B Systems Management Ltd. | 4B - 2520 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 3L3
Kenneth McVay  | Voice: 604-758-7414 | Envoy: ken.mcvay | RCSA: 89:681/1