Using UUCP under a BBS system???

Sandy Zelkovitz sandy at locus.com
Tue Feb 13 02:26:43 AEST 1990

In article <511182 at nstar.UUCP>, larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> In article <2959 at murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au>, vortex at cs.mu.oz.au (Mark Gregson) writes:
> > 	I don't suppose anyone out there would know if
> > 	there is a BBS system for Xenix that will allow
> > 	users to use the UUCP mail facility??
>
> AKCS will do just what you are looking for plus a whole lot more.
>
> > 	I have been told that XBBS will do this, is this true or
> > 	false?? I want users to be able to send and receive UUCP
> > 	mail whilst logged into the BBS and not have to give out
> > 	shell accounts for this facility.
>
> The last time I looked at XBBS, it would only allow the spawning of
> external news software - and one would have to set up an account for
> your users to access the mailer - which would leave the system open
> for security problems.   AKCS takes a cleaner approach with the mail
> front end built into the main package.

Larry,

Unfortunately, you completely forgot about the Additional Features Section
of XBBS. As you know, the System Administrator can select any external
program and/or shell script as a feature for his users. Also, this you
may not know, XBBS has the capability of having MANY special SIG sections.
Each section, also has its own Additional Features section.

For the readers of this message that are not familiar with XBBS, the Additional
features section is similar to the "doors" function within may MSDOS bbs
programs. The SysAdmin can select to have a particular selected program to
be either interactive or non-interactive. If you wish to have your users
run the mail program, so be it! All you have to do is select that program
to be interactive and off it goes. I would, however, use a mail program
which does not have a shell escape. This will guarantee system security.

If you really want certain users to have "mail" capabilities, I would set
up a special SIG for this function.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz   XBBS   714-821-9671 (data)
                                   714-821-9670 (voice)

P.S.   XBBS is FREE ( source code included )