RLL formats & SCO Xenix

Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino at cup.portal.com Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino at cup.portal.com
Thu Feb 1 18:33:21 AEST 1990

I asked for an upgrade of hard disk from some 65MB to 110MB on my last purcha
of an 386 computer; only to find out when I looked closely that
the hard disk was formatted up to 110 with an RLL controller. I should think
that it si false advertising to say you are selling a 30MB disk when it is
actually a 20MB disk formatted to 30MB capacity.  I take it that  the 95 adde
cost on my bill was actually for the us of the RLL technology. I need tyo
look at whether I paid for anything new at all. My other concern is what
effect RLL can have on running SCO Xenix. The literature refers to some
legal use of some RLL disks by Xenix.  Should I return it for another type
of disk? Any help appreciated. As an non-engineer I am giving up on
understanding all these hardware particulars.