Zmodem setup (sz/rz)

Inge Arnesen ingea at IFI.UIO.NO
Tue Jan 9 19:40:16 AEST 1990

>Could somebody (to save me alot of time) please give me a sample setup
>on both sides and a step by step guide to establishing a link and starting
>/completing a file transfer with zmodem(sz/rz).
I use C-Kermit together with Z-modem in my system. I use C-Kermit to call
the remote site, log in, and all the usual stuff, but when I want to
transfer a file, I start sz on the remote site:

SUN:/usr/iba $ sz thisfile.txt

After entering this command, I hit ^\-C to get C-Kermit out of the terminal
emulator mode and back to the command mode. In command mode, I write:

C-KERMIT>! zrec

which makes C-Kermit fork and execute a shell script by the name of zrec.
zrec contains the following:

$ cat zrec
rz < /dev/tty1A > /dev/tty1A
$ _

Which just makes rz use tty1A as the serial tty.

For sending, I do the same thing, except that I start "rz" on the remote
site and starts sz locally:

C-KERMIT>! zsend localfile.o

where zsend is pretty much like zrec:

$ cat zsend
sz < /dev/tty1A > /dev/tty1A
$ _

Of course this gets more complicated if you have more than one modem,
but the basic prinsiple is the same: Use Kermit og cu to log in, and
start sz / rz through a script started from cu or Kermit.

Inge (BoB)  { ingea at ifi.uio.no }