Northgate experiences please

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Sun Jan 7 02:34:48 AEST 1990

In article <5655 at holston.UUCP>, barton at holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate
> both good and bad?

We got one. It's great. We popped the pwer supply at one point,
and they sent us one FED Ex right away. (I.E. BEFORE they received the
busted one back... just like they say).  We use the keyboard in our lap
and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
right up (dead bang). We talked to Northgate about this and they swapped
us a keyboard (ditto on the Fed Ex). Total down days (since we've owned
it) = 2.

Recommendation: get yourself more than 65Mbyte of disk if you want the
SCO UNIX with Development System. Also: specify that you want a mother
board which can hold more than 4Mbyte of RAM (Even if you don't want
to buy it right away). Not all of their 386 mother boards can hold
more than 4Mbyte on board; and you'll only get one 32 bit slot. If
you have to use it for memory, you can't use it for a killer caching
controller - a definite cramp in the upgrade path.

Overall: Northgate makes Fast systems which are reasonably reliable
but backed by their excellent (helpful and courteous) service, you
don't need to worry about not buying Compaq or Big Blue.

> Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.

Well, I don't know. Are you beating a dead horse?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt