moving news area

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Mon Jan 8 04:28:45 AEST 1990

In article <264 at consult.UUCP> bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:

>I am attempting to rearrange the filesystems on our system (going to
>add an additional drive to the system).  I am going to create the new
>drive with the /u filesystem.  What I would like to do, is to move
>all the /usr/spool/news/*  files (UUNET, etc.) to /u/spool/news/*
>area for simplicity sake.  We have the SCO compiled distribution for
>UUNET connection and using rn for a reader.

The various binaries that make up the news system, i.e. inews, batch,
unbatch, etc. have the paths to SPOOLDIR (where the news lives) and
LIBDIR (where the binaries live) and BATCHDIR hardcoded at compile time
so without rebuilding the source you are stuck. In thinking about it, it
might be a useful alteration to the source to get this stuff out of the
environment. But in any case, using SCO's binaries you are going to be
stuck with their paths. I suggest you load the development system, and
rebuild the news source first!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu