Xenix Executables

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Thu Jan 11 21:03:33 AEST 1990

>From article <857 at jetsun.WEITEK.COM>, by brothers at jetsun.WEITEK.COM (bill brothers):
> In article <165 at raider.MFEE.TN.US> root at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) writes:
>>I noticed the other day, while poking around with the 'file' command on Xenix
>>386 2.3.1, that many of the binaries are 8086 and 80286 files ! Things like
>>grep, and find are 8086 junk.
>>
>>Could someone tell me, why on earth would SCO not simply recompile these things
>>to take advantage of the 80386 ? SCO ?? I almost can't believe my eyes. This is
>>quality control ?
>>

> It is pretty simple: If it works, don't fix it. There are many utilities
> that will never need more data space, etc.

  Oh bull hockey. If I buy a 386 version of UNIX or Xenix I expect
everything to be compiled in the native compiler. I don't want to
get in the arguement that some programs will benefit form better
performance or not. One I doubt will ever know, SCO more than likely
will never release a complete 386 Xenix package. Two I disagree with
preformance claims made by the companys themself.  If they break it
I see no reason why they can't fix it. That's what you pay them to
do when you upgrade right?

>  Besides, anytime you touch a
> program it tends to break. An added benefit-- You don't have to have a
> somebody run 47 tests on the program if it hasn't changed.

  Who's benefit are we takeing about?  Besides a good QA department
should have this automated.

> It was a
> concious, deliberate decision process on which programs to migrate to
> higher planes. Just because the module is marked 386 doesn't make it any
> better program than 8086. It just means it won't run on older platforms.

  True, but it would be nice to see some third party vendors that compared
a complete 386 compiled version to a 286 compilied version.  Also some
of the file size comparisons, etc.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400