Manners when asking for information

Bruce KING bruceki at microsoft.UUCP
Fri Jan 5 08:19:14 AEST 1990

  I've seen 5 or 10 requests in the last week that are about information that
I'm interested in.  In each case the person posing the question has asked for
email.  I'd like to see those questions get asked on the network.

  Look -- by sending email you're not benefitting anyone but the recipient of
the request, and if they DO post a summary to the network it's often weeks
after the intial query -- and may not get through anyways.

  If you're considering posing a question, consider NOT asking it to be
responded to in email.  There are even some benefits to you:

  * incorrect responses get corrected
  * you (personally) have less work to do; you don't have to post a summary

  That seem fair enough?  If you're asking, there are probably a few
hundred or a few thousand people all over the world who want that same
question answered.
  This message is not aimed at anyone.  It's a general philosophy that
I'd like to see more people ahere to.

  Bruce King / uunet!microsoft!bruceki / (206) 882-8080
  Claimer:  This isn't my idea, but I support it.  It's not Microsoft's idea.