Tape backup for Xenix and DOS

Matthew Thurmaier thurm at shorty.cs.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 11 02:13:48 AEST 1990

In article <964 at rna.UUCP> dan at rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	What is the best cartridge tape backup unit for both Xenix and DOS ?
>It should have roughly 150Mb capacity and cost no more than $1000. It should
>run under both Xenix and DOS (preferably also OS/2 and UNIX). It should not
>require different controllers/jumpers/cables/etc for each OS, since the one
>(386) machine will be run DOS and Xenix alternately and frequently.
>	I've tried the CMS 150Mb but it appears to require either different
>controllers and/or jumpers for each OS. How about ARCHIVE ? EVEREX ? MOUNTAIN ?
>
>	Please email responses. Thanks.

I bow to the others on the net that ask for postings instead of email.....
The following is a responce that I sent to people asking about tape drives
in the past (~11/10/89).  I have updated the info at the end.

The tape drive that has ALWAYS worked for me is the Everex QIC-36 2/3 size
card.  It comes with a some software that runs under dos that is a) very useful
if you have a dos partition that you want to back up at any time b) very useful
in helping you install the thing.

The installation process is as follows:
1.) boot dos on your macine (from floppy is fine)
2.) load in the first disk of the 3 from everex (there are 4 disks, a set of
	3, and a 4th called SCHEDULER)
3.) type install, select "hardware setup", and press page up until you see
	a picture of the qic-36 2/3 sized card.  PRESS RETURN
4.) fill in the interupt, dma, and address blanks with the values from the
	SCO Release Notes (around page a-27 for 2.3.1 - supported hardware).  If
	I remember correctly, these values are int: 5, dma:1, addr: 0x02C0.  I just
	did this last night, so I think these are correct. (~11/10/89)
5.) the picture on the screen shows you how to set the jumpers/switches. Set
	them according to the picture.
6.) boot XENIX
7.) as root, type "mkdev tape", select 1 - install, 1 - cartrige tape,
	2 - modify values.  Set 1 to 7, 2 to 1, 3 to 5, 4 to 02C0H.
8.) type q to quit, it will update the configuration and ask for permission
	to relink kernal and install it, say y to both.
9.) reboot and..... VIOLA!

PLEASE NOTE:
	I have installed roughly a dozen systems with different tape drives.
I have even just tried using the Wangtek 5099-EK 60Mb drive on my everex step/25
and IT DIDN'T WORK.  I haven't given up on it, but it sure isn't an everex tape
drive THAT ALWAYS WORKS!

	ALSO: Emerald HAS DROPPPED ITS SUPPORT OF UNIX/XENIX.  I suggest punishing
them by NEVER buying another one of their products.

Any questions can be sent back to me.
--
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
The Computer Classroom              matt at shorty.cs.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122         (608) 271-2171
Madison, WI 53719            -- The problem w/ Republicans? THEY LACK WISDOM!