afio and tape streaming

Seth Chaiklin chaiklin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 25 12:58:26 AEST 1990

I have been learning to use afio to do backups to tape cartridges.
One of the options is -c to set the number of buffers to use.
The man page recommends a "large number" when using a streaming
tape backup, but it does not specify a specific value.  I am
curious/interested in recommendations.  Also, I thought that it
was possible to do multi-volume backups with afio, but I did not
succeed with a "cat filelist|afio -o -f -s59m /dev/tape"

I am running SCO Xenix/386 2.3.1 and an Everex (Wangtek) 60 Mb drive.

Thanks for the advice.