getty keeps dying

John Lawitzke jhl at frith.msu.edu
Fri Jul 6 23:04:23 AEST 1990

One of our customers is having the following problem. I can't rationally
explain it. They've contacted SCO support and didn't get an answer. Can
anyone out there explain it?

Randomly, about once or twice a week on different machines they will
get the message from /etc/init:

/dev/tty01: getty keeps dying - there may be a problem

ANd then tty01 is locked up. They've also seen it happen on tty2c. Now
the strange thing, someone is looged in and working on the line when it
occurs. There is no getty running on the line and nothing should be
starting one on it. They are developing a custom application written
in DBL on the machines it is occuring on.

My only explanation is that their application is doin something wrong.
I've never seen this problem happen internally at my company or at any
of our other customers. However, they aren't convinced and keep blaming
the hardware or operating system.

Any suggestions?

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu