Changing Kernel Configurations

Kambiz Aghaiepour kambiz at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Sat Jul 14 04:43:06 AEST 1990

I am having problems changing the kernel configurations on one of our
systems here at Transact.  We are running SCO xenix on a 386 machine.
After changing the number of buffers (NBUF) and max. buffer heads
(MAXBUF), relinking xenix, and running hdinstall, I can no longer boot
from the new kernel.  Upon boot, I get the message :

bn void <number>
bn void <number>
bn void <number>
:
.
etc

The <number>s increase and the machine freezes around number 709.
The strange thing is that I cannot boot from xenix.old anymore
either!!  Has anyone else seen this before or am I totally in the
dark?  (What does the error message mean?!!!)

Is there some other parameter I need to change along with NBUF and
MAXBUF?  I am reducing the buffer pool size to free up user memory.

Thanks in advance

--Kambiz
--
"If everything in life was easy, then nothing would be easy."