Xenix upgrade horror story

Roger Knopf 5502 rogerk at sco.COM
Wed Jul 25 12:27:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul21.103829.12316 at bbt.se> pgd at bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:

>It is also nice to hear that the serial number is not written to the
>file system. (Although i still wonder how it enters into the kernel
>after a re-link.)

Easy: we brand not only the kernel but the OS library as well (libos.a
for Xenix, I forget what it is on Unix). Since it has to be included
when the kernel is relinked, the new kernel is always branded and
the user is spared the necessity of rebranding it.

Files to be serialized are listed in the perm lists (/etc/perms/*)
on a line that starts:

	#ser=

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate