NFS Client or Server for Xenix

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Wed Jul 4 01:11:45 AEST 1990

According to jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
>There is no NFS for Xenix and there probably never will be.

I think that this statement is correct.

>Xenix doesn't directly support what is needed for NFS.

I believe that this statement is false.  It's not a technical problem,
it's a marketing decision.  Since Xenix supports transparent remote
file access with Xenix-Net, SCO can't claim that Xenix internals
preclude remote file access.

Think about it from SCO's perspective.  If they give you NFS on your
Xenix box, would you "upgrade" to "real" System V?  I wouldn't.

Of course, even if NFS were available, I might not buy it.  ESIX is
quite inexpensive, and it includes RFS with the base package.  I'd
rather use RFS than NFS any day.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>