Xenix upgrade horror story

P.Garbha pgd at bbt.se
Sat Jul 21 20:38:29 AEST 1990

In article <8227 at scorn.sco.COM> rogerk at sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:

>I agree with Ross, it sounds like your Xenix partition extends
>beyond 1024 cylinders. Since there is no standard way of handling

My root Xenix partition does extend beyond 1024 cylinders, and your
explanation is probably completely right. The solution is just seeing
to that /xenix (and /boot) always fit within the first 1024 cylinders.

>Actually, this has nothing to do with serialization and we do not
>do anything like write the serial number on the file system.

Good, that my suspicion was wrong.
It is also nice to hear that the serial number is not written to the
file system. (Although i still wonder how it enters into the kernel
after a re-link.)