Trouble with Xenix rmail.

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Jun 6 02:41:20 AEST 1990

>>In article <422 at oha.UUCP>, tony at oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
>>> My mail feed from alberta will send a message to two recepients at the same
>>> address with a uux request to "rmail user1 user2".  The sender receives the
>>> following back from our machine:
>>>
>>> 	remote execution	[uucp job albertaAAaa3 (5/26-12:59:50)]
>>> 		rmail tony al
>>> 	exited with status 1
>>>
>>> 		===== stderr was =====
>>> 	Usage: rmail username

First, it appears that Xenix rmail is performing an argument check; since
the command to be run fails the defined syntax, uuxqt fails. Absent code
to uuxqt, I am under the impression that uuxqt builds a "pipe" between the
data stream (found in UUCP's D.* file) and the command to be run (rmail).

The pipe, however, will not support repetitive reads. Once the data has
been read and processed for the first rmail addressee, there is nothing
left for the second addressee. Thus, it would be appropriate to reject
a multiple addressee list.

Of course, if uuxqt takes standard input from a file, then, as Rozanne
Rozannadanna would say, "Never mind!".