Bloat costs

Mike Haertel mike at thor.acc.stolaf.edu
Sat Jun 2 14:01:39 AEST 1990

In article <266577FA.6D99 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to jtc at van-bc.UUCP (J.T. Conklin):
>>On the other hand, there is something to be said about giving
>>beginning programmers 6 MHz Xenix/286 machines to work on.
>
>Amen.

Not a 286!  If you want to teach someone about memory constraints give
them a PDP-11 running UNIX v7.  A much cleaner architecture.

The problem is, people all too often assume that their past experience
defines how things "should" be, and so when they in turn design things in
the future they apply their preconceptions.  We don't need any intellectual
descendents of the 286.
--
Mike Haertel <mike at acc.stolaf.edu>
``There's nothing remarkable about it.  All one has to do is hit the right