How many uids and gids are allowed in SCO Xenix?

Robert Dinse nanook at rwing.UUCP
Sat Jun 30 06:58:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun28.031638.15931 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, chaiklin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:

> I am runing SCO Xenix/386 2.3.1.  I am curious about whether there
> is a upper limit on uids and also a upper limit on group ids?
> How do people handle the growing number of uids? Do you fill in
> the lower values or just keep adding to the end?  Does it matter?
> Thanks, Seth Chaiklin

     I've done some experimenting on that very subject and found 30,000
to be the limit (not 32767 or some sensical boundry). Although you can
go this high, to have more about 990 users you have to create seperate
/usr or /usr2 or whatever directories, otherwise mkdir blows up.

     Never ran into a group id problem so don't know what/if max values
apply there.