Ethernet math (Was Re: MWC's Coherent - A Lemon...)

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Fri Jun 1 10:16:04 AEST 1990

davin at me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>It isn't ethernet overhead that's bogging you down, depending on you
>packet size there's precious little of that.  Your problem is that your
>ethernet interfaces suck, the combination of computer, ethernet
>controller and driver.  Unfortunately, you're in the same boat as most
>people out there, and for you 3-4 Mbit/s is what you're gonna see.

That's the problem, I can not see a consistant throughput of more than maybe 4
4 Mbits per second at best on the entire network.  The lack of consistancy in
throughput.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca