Trouble with Xenix rmail.

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 00:45:17 AEST 1990

In article <422 at oha.UUCP> tony at oha.UUCP writes:
>My mail feed from alberta will send a message to two recepients at the same
>address with a uux request to "rmail user1 user2".  The sender receives the
>following back from our machine:
>
>	remote execution	[uucp job albertaAAaa3 (5/26-12:59:50)]
>		rmail tony al
>	exited with status 1
>
>		===== stderr was =====
>	Usage: rmail username

Sure looks broken to me. I just experienced the same problem about a week
ago. Newer mail programs do indeed try to send a mail message only
once to a remote machine and try to have the remote machine get it to
the users on that machine. My old Xenix 2.2.1 surely dates back to the
days where the messages would be sent separately to the remote machine for
every recipient. I guess they just didn't anticipate this ever changing.
(unix was invented by the phone company, so the extra cost didn't matter...)

Paul.
(debra at research.att.com)