Emergency floppy

William R. Pearson wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU
Sat Jun 30 10:13:59 AEST 1990

	I have just recovered from a motherboard failure (allowing me
to upgrade from my original 6 MHz IBM-PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386
to an 25 MHz AMI board).  Fortunately, my disk was left more or less
intact, except for a few files that I was able to restore from tape.

	I had planned for such a disaster by making an "emergency boot
floppy" with mkdev fd as discussed in Chapter 16 (I think) of the
System Administration Guide.  Unfortunately, when I tried to use this
floppy, the machine ended up booting off of the hard disk.  I made another
emergency floppy, with the same result.  Why can't I make an emergency
floppy (boot and root) that will simply boot, and then allow me to do
restore's and the like onto an unmounted hard disk?

Bill Pearson