Xenix deamon -- why doesn't it die??

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Tue Jun 5 13:09:18 AEST 1990

In article <167 at lec.UUCP> root at lec.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>	Running Xenix 386 and recently installed an Irwin tape backup
>unit.  Have noticed as many as 3 deamons running at the same time for
>the tape unit.  Can't seem to kill any or all of them.  It's not really
>necessary to kill them but I'm more curious about why they don't die.
>Does one restart the other if one dies .. the pid remains the same after
>a kill. Please enlighten me.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but, programs which go south
while waiting for a device driver read/write/ioctl to complete can endup
unkillable (typically 'ps' shows the PRIO as 24 or less) and the system
must be rebooted to regain control of the device.

BTW, I have never heard of a tape drive 'deamon' -- is there actually a
background server of some sort handling access requests for the Irwin?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com
uunet!masa.com!marob!daveh