printers

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Jun 7 03:22:39 AEST 1990

In article <2066 at polari.UUCP> corwin at polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>I am using Xenix 386 2.3.2 and have just made a default printer named
>of all things printer, when I go and print a file by typing lp filename <cr>
>I get a banner page and the message (printed):
>cat: cannot open /u/corwin/misc/temp/rnd1.c

Since lp is running setuid to "lp", user "lp" must be able to access the
file in question. In particular, it must have access permission through
to the directory location, and read access to the file. However, if you
were to type "lp < filename", you would take advantage of the shell's
access to that file, and lp should complain no more.