Backing up hard disk for transfer to new disk.

Scott Amspoker scott at bbxsda.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 00:48:51 AEST 1990

In article <3714NU013809 at NDSUVM1> NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:
>My question is basically: What is the best utility/procedure to use so that
>the contents of the 80 megabyte drive can be transfered to the 330 megabyte
>drive with a minimum of system disruption?
>
>Before I go on I should probably say that I do have a magnetic tape drive
>on the machine (Mountain).
>
>My main concern is not the /u filesystem because I plan on just using tar
                                                                       ^^^
I strongly advise that you use cpio instead of tar.  tar will not preserve
directory owners and permissions.  Also, tar does not handle device files
very well (cpio will).

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM