Korn shell availability?

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tue Mar 27 03:26:21 AEST 1990

In article <1114 at chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
><15030012 at hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb at hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
>>Where can I get ksh [for XENIX] and what could I expect to pay for it?

>Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  It mostly works.  I'm so pissed
>off with these people that I will never purchase another product from them,
>nor recommend it for my clients.  Too bad, because ksh would be nice to
>have under XENIX.
>
>I picked up a copy from somebody who was getting out of XENIX.  I called
>up Aspen to notify them of the change of address and ask about their
>upgrade policy.  Instead, I got a reading of the riot act which covered
>everything from the importance of shrinkwrap licenses to the scourge of
>software piracy in the Far East.  Apparently they seem to feel that their
>software is a ball and chain, and once you buy it, you are stuck with
>it.  If the day comes where you can't use it, too bad, all you can do is
>throw it in your closet and let it gather dust.
>
>I'm tempted to get one direct from the AT&T Toolchest and get that going.
>But in the mean time, I guess I'm stuck with a copy which kind of works,
>so long as you don't push it so it stack faults.
>
>Maybe I can sell you my copy :-)
>
>--
>Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
>chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  a lucky man, but are you a smart
>Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260  |  man?  -David Bromberg

ksh was part of the last microport 386 unix, and was available through
their bbs to registered users.  I don't know the copy right status of
the bbs version; some of the uport bbs software is still available
through the bbs and may be archived on other systems.  Microport
answers their phone (at least, <someone> answers it...); perhaps they're
able to sell it more reasonably.. at least, with more reasonable conditions..
than Aspen.
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840