Does Xenix use the BIOS for anythin

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sat Mar 24 15:56:06 AEST 1990

lws at comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>I may have missed part of this thread, so if this doesn't make sense,
>I apologize.
>
>If Xenix doesn't use the BIOS for anything (because the BIOS doesn't
>work w/ protected mode), then by extension, OS/2 and Unix don't use
>the BIOS either...
>
>Then howcum' I needed to upgrade my BIOS when I installed an ESDI
>controller?

Probably to low level format the hard drive.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca