total memory

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Sat Mar 24 07:23:43 AEST 1990

In article <18158 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <RON.90Mar17104720 at mlfarm.uucp> ron at mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) writes:
>>In article <8111 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>> > That "upper" 384 k is used by all PC's and their descendents for
>> > various things like the system BIOS, video memory, etc.
>Then I added another 2048K, and POST reported only 3712K, which is
>384K shy of what one might expect.
>The answer, in the case of a Wyse 3216 is that the hardware can
>remap the 384K if you have only 2MB, but when you have more than
>one board it has to leave the ending address of the memory alone
>so the next card will start at a reasonable address.

Well,,,
You don't quite have it right.
You can use all the memory (including shadow ram).
There was an upgrade (about a year ago), which would allow you to
utilize all the memory (get back your 384K), no matter how much
memory you are using 2mb, 4mb, 8mb, etc.
I know because up until about 2 weeks ago we had a Wyse 3216 in
our office here, plus several in customer sites.
So the answer is, YES you can utilize all the memory, you just
need the right update.

Hope this helps.
 ... bob willey ...