LHARC, SCO XENIX

Pat Myrto pat at rwing.UUCP
Sat Mar 17 04:54:44 AEST 1990

I have the same problem - lharc dumping core when it finishes, and
tries to rename the temp file to the final archive name.  I have a
rename() function I got from a package of functions intended to make
earlier versions of UNIX(tm) support at least some of the POSIX
functions.  This rename() function works fine elsewhere, so I don't
think that you using link() is the problem (note that just replacing
rename() calls with link() calls will still leave the temp file in
place - a call to unlink() to unlink the temp file after the link()
call succeeded is neccessary to accomplish the effect of renaming.

I note that the final archive filename is not even created before it
dumps core (I tried the option where the temp file is copied to the
final archive - needed if the temp file is on a filesystem different
than the one the archive is to be on), so the problem is somewhere
else.  As soon as I get time, I plan to see if I can find the problem
using sdb, but being inexpert with that tool, this is going to take
awhile.

Has anyone else experienced this core dumping problem, and discovered
the cause (my attempts are under UNIX(tm) instead of XENIX(tm), on the
old UNIX-PC, which is roughly the same as SysV Rel 2.0).

Thanks for any help...
--
pat at rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat