SCO support for Xenix (or lack of).

Chris Hare / System Manager chris at choreo.COM.COM
Tue Mar 20 23:29:07 AEST 1990

Regarding this whole issue of support from SCO.....

Choreo Systems is VAR for SCo, and other products.  We provide among other
things Authorized SCO Training to our customers and the general public, as
well as support services.

While I agree that it is unfortunate that SCO has decided that they will
drop support for XENIX eventually, it is not a new opinion.  It was
mentioned at SCO Forum89 that XENIX development, and fixes will slow down,
as it is essentially a stable product.

This serves a couple of purposes:

   1.  It allows SCO to concentrate on this new beast called UNIX 3.2 which
   doesw require a lot of manpower to port everything they have from XENIX
   to UNIX.  (All of the UNIX utilities in UNIX 3.2 do not use termcap,
   they use terminfo; including vi.)

   2.  It allows vendors, VARS, distributors, etc, who have the capabiltiy
   of providing support to the end-users to take this business.

SCO has also said that they will be leaning on their sales channels to
provide different levels of support, as they want to do less and less with
the end user.

End users who call SCO for product sales have their personal info gathered,
and then that info is forwarded to the appropirate sales force.

Don't get me wrong, I do not work for SCO, or speak for them in any way.

I teach SCO classes as an authorized instructor and it is often a hot topic
of debate over a lunch, however, what often comes out of the debate is that
the people who are arguing for XENIX will eventually switch or be switched
to SCO UNIX.

Chris Hare, Co-ordinator, Systems Management         *** IT WORKS FOR ME! ***
Authorized SCO Instructor
Choreo Systems Inc.                                  500-150 Laurier Ave W.
                                                     Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J4
E-MAIL ...!choreo!chris                              Voice (613) 238-1050
                                                     Fax   (613) 238-4453