Programs compiled under xenix run slower under unix?

Usenet file owner usenet at cps3xx.UUCP
Fri Mar 2 05:33:37 AEST 1990

>From article <2750 at scorn.sco.COM>, by rogerk at sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502):
$
$ In article <57 at dynasys.UUCP> jessea at dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
$>I was wondering if programs compiled under unix and then moved to
$>a unix system would run slower than if they had been compiled
$>under the unix system.  I'm not asking if a program will run
$>slower or faster on a unix or xenix system.  What I'm asking really
$>is "Does the process of translating xenix programs on a unix system
$>slow the program down?"  I was going to give someone a program I
$>had compiled on a xenix system, but he refused it saying that he
$>wanted to compile it on his system (unix) because the program
$>would run slower.  It this true?  Thanx in advance.

>From some experiments I did when I first got SCO UNIX the answer to
the last question is YES.

The reason for this appears to be more compiler specific than OS
specific. I found that binaries I generated under XENIX 386/2.3.2 ran
slower under UNIX than Xenix. When the same program was compiled under
UNIX and created either a Xenix or a UNIX binary it ran faster un
UNIX than the one compiled under Xenix. I believe this is more
because of improvements in the compiler from MSC v4.0 to MSC v5.1.

j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu