SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Mar 5 08:50:35 AEST 1990

In article <5118 at questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff at hobbes.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:

| 	This makes me VERY angry. Just 4 months ago I paid $1500.00
| 	for Xenix 2.3.2.  Now to keep current I have to spend another
| 	$1000.00 for 3.2.  This puts me at a grand total of $2500.00
| 	when (unless I'm mistaken) SCO Unix 3.2 only retails for
| 	around $1900.00.  Damn!.  I looked closely at ESIX, but
| 	decided that SCO had a better reputation, and what they
| 	offered for the price was a good deal.  I will be looking
| 	at ESIX once again.

  Unless you need something in 3.2, like the security features, why
update? In my opinion, based on talking to people on and off the net,
and at SCO, the 3.2 release at this time does not have the same
reliability as Xenix. Since reliability is one thing which comes with
product age, you would expect to find Xenix more reliable than V.3.2
from any vendor, and that has been my personal experience.

  I am looking for a product with X-windows and NFS, deliverable and
reliable now. I am looking at ESIX, too. I'm told that the SCO UNIX dev.
set will run under ix/386, sure hope it runs under ESIX as well!
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX