total memory

Richard Goerwitz goer at sophist.uucp
Sat Mar 17 17:34:58 AEST 1990

In article <2 at grumbly.UUCP> root at grumbly.UUCP (Superuser) writes:
>I have 8 megs of main memory on my SCO Unix 3.2.1 system.  When it comes up
>it reports total memory as 7808 k instead of 8192 k.  Where is the missing
>384 k?

Hint:  Subtract your 384 k from 1024 k (the total amount of memory
addressable by an 8088/6 chip), and presto, you get the answer 640
(the amount of user memory accessible via standard PC architecture).
That "upper" 384 k is used by all PC's and their descendents for
various things like the system BIOS, video memory, etc.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist at uchicago.bitnet
   goer at sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer