select() on Xenix

Bill Mahoney bill at zycor.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 04:18:30 AEST 1990

I am writing some software that gets moved onto an HP running HPUX.
Interestingly, although XENIX and HPUX both support select() "stolen"
from BSD, they are slightly different. On XENIX if you select on an FD
that is a normal pipe, it returns true always, but a select on a named
pipe works as I would expect. On HPUX, both wait for data before
returning true.

It doesn't really matter (I can't change it, afterall), but I am curious
as to which way is supposed to be the "right" way.

--
Bill Mahoney			//STEPLIB  DD DSN=SYS2.LINKLIB,DSP=SHR
bill at zycor.UUCP			//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A