Does Xenix use the BIOS for anything?

Roger Knopf 5502 rogerk at sco.COM
Wed Mar 7 06:14:02 AEST 1990

In article <115 at melpar.UUCP> toppin at melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin   X2075) writes:
>This is a question that I believe I know the answer to but would
>like to get a confirmation: "Does Xenix use the BIOS in the
>[23]86 at all?" My boss has always been convinced that it does
>and I believe that it does not.  I am guessing that the Xenix
>drivers do everything on their own.

You are right. The boot programs use the BIOS to get the kernel
loaded and are never used again.

Use the MAPCONS ioctls. The doc for 2.3 says that they return a
selector; in reality they return a far pointer under 286 and a
pointer under 386.

Roger Knopf
SCO Consulting Services
--

"His potential clients were always giving him the business."
	--Robert Thornton