Does Xenix use the BIOS for anythin

John Palmer jpp at tygra.UUCP
Fri Mar 23 21:46:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.172812.29265 at comm.WANG.COM> lws at comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) writes:
}
}I may have missed part of this thread, so if this doesn't make sense,
}I apologize.
}
}If Xenix doesn't use the BIOS for anything (because the BIOS doesn't
}work w/ protected mode), then by extension, OS/2 and Unix don't use
}the BIOS either...

Another related topic: Has anyone had any luck with installing
COM3 or COM4? I've got an AT clone (386 Modular BIOS by Award)
and am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (GT version). I tried to get
COM3 and COM4 working but Xenix wont recognize them even though
it allowed me to specify COM3 and COM4 with "mkdev serial".

The SCO people said that "mkdev serial" lists COM3 and COM4 because
one of the Wyse machines has a BIOS that supports these ports.
He said that there was a way that COM3 and COM4 could become
visible to Xenix but it would require some "hacking" that is
"...not supported by SCO". Question: Has this been done by anyone
out there and what does it involve?

Thanks in advance.
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -