Using Tar

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Sep 2 02:01:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug30.202639.26547 at agate.berkeley.edu> swade at sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Wade Shen) writes:
>I have a tar file that is too big to be extracted onto my HD... How would i go about untaring it
>I have enough space for the untared files but not for the tar and the extracted files... I have a tape drive

If you are close to having enough space, you might make it if you compress the
tar file, then extract with "zcat file | tar xf -" .  Otherwise you will
have to use dd to copy the tar file image to tape, then read it back in
with a normal tar command. To be safe, you might want to do a verify pass
on the tape using tar t before you delete the disk copy.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us