pc 'used but never set' query - (nf)

emjej at uokvax.UUCP emjej at uokvax.UUCP
Sat Dec 31 13:47:02 AEST 1983

#N:uokvax:6100009:000:808
uokvax!emjej    Dec 27 20:55:00 1983

This isn't *really* a bug, so I'm putting it here: Berkeley's pc
is nice enough to tell me about variables that are used but not
assigned to. This is quite useful, *BUT* the program I'm currently
working on has a fair number of records with fields with the same
names, and n lines of

	field zot is used but never set

is less helpful than I would like. I'd appreciate hearing about whether
it's reasonable (I know that's a vague notion) to give at least one
line # with a usage of said unset field, whether it's reasonable for
one's local system administrator to make such a hack (not that it's
likely I'll ever nag the local folks to do so; they've got enough to
do), and whether Berkeley is likely to ever do so. (Please, no messages
concerning the desirability of such field names...)

						James Jones