typedefs, functions returning pointers to functions

Barry Margolin barmar at mit-eddie.UUCP
Thu Dec 29 16:47:09 AEST 1983

While I agree with Steve Summit's message in general, I have to take
exception with him on one of his points and side with the programming
teacher.  I find nothing cryptic in

	return (a == b)

It merely means "return whether a and b are equal".  Were I a
programming teacher I wouldn't go so far as to take points of for saying

	if (a == b) return (TRUE);
	else return (FALSE);

I suppose that some theory of good programming style might dictate that
conditionals should only be used in places where only conditionals are
expected, such as in the test in an "if" or "for" statement.  I don't
happen to agree with this, but I will defend to the death someone's
right to program this way.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar at MIT-Multics