Disk partition sizes on big disks.

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Mon Nov 14 21:48:40 AEST 1983

You didn't mention which Unix version you are running.  I know that on
4.1Bsd the restor program spent upwards of 50% of its time just clearing
out (and copying?) buffers.  Write, or steal, a buffer clear/copy
routine in assembler, and you'll probably see much better improvement.
Our full saves are up to 26 tapes now!  (We've got a 6250bpi tape drive
on order, and will soon switch to 4.2, which should help too.)

=Spencer