Orphaned Response - (nf)

jc at inmet.UUCP jc at inmet.UUCP
Thu Apr 19 21:19:06 AEST 1984

#R:abnjh:-51600:inmet:9200004:177600:1230
inmet!jc    Apr 18 14:46:00 1984

UTS has a "vm" command that does some really interesting things.  It lets you
semi-suspend your UTS login, and do any VM commands you wish (such as LOGON).
If you decide to log onto another machine,susbsystem, you can (with an appropriate
exscape sequence) send commands back to UTS, then return to the other machine.
Lots of possibilities!

Another interesting things is that UTS (at least the one'scopies I've seen) come
with software for talking to OS, letting you keep your source on UTS, send
files over to OS, build JCL automatically (sort of), fetching files back, and
so on.  It's actually easier to build OS programs on UTS stthan on TSO,
though I guess that's not saying much.  I don't remember what these commands
are called; someone from Amdahl could probably tell you.

One example I wsaw was a bunch of PL/I programs on UTS.  Amdaghl doesn't supply
a UTS PL/I compiler.  What you do is farm out the compiles to OS, fetch back
the object files, and run them on UTS.  Really!  I tried it once, and it sordid
work, though I imagine there might be problems with programs that know they're
running on OS and do lots of funny system calls.

                             John Chambers (inmet)!jc)