Dumb "ed" question

steve at Brl-Bmd.ARPA steve at Brl-Bmd.ARPA
Fri Apr 6 11:36:01 AEST 1984

From:      Stephen Wolff <steve at Brl-Bmd.ARPA>

Many of us at BRL grew up with the JHU/BRL editor that was hacked - upward
compatibly - from the Version 6 `ed', and we still prefer it to later
versions.  It has the `n' feature, of course, as well as a number of niceties
that render it pleasant to use including, for example, the `default print'
feature and the user-definable `print-window' using `<', `>' and `,'.  There
are lots of times when its simple and by now natural functionality make it
the editor of choice over other line-based editors and all screen editors.
It's /bin/ed on our PDP-11s and /usr/brl/bin/jed on the VAXen.