Modified CU wanted

david at varian.UUCP david at varian.UUCP
Fri Apr 13 05:34:01 AEST 1984

Bill Sebok (astrovax!wls) writes:
> What is worse is when one wants to transfer text files to the VMS system,
> Neither cu nor tip knows enough to convert the newslines in the file to
> carriage returns.

The way I have gotten around this is to make a special version of cat (which
I called type) which changes newlines to carriage returns, and invoke it
with the ~$ option of cu (~$type file means: Run "type file" on the local
system and send the output to the remote system).  In addition to the
translation of newline, type also has options to send the VMS EOF character
at the end of the file and to put in delays after each character (-dnumber,
where the larger the number, the longer the delay), so that the output of
type looks like a human typing. The delay is doubled after sending a carriage
return.

	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,amd70,fortune}!varian!david