Glorious troff problem - (nf)

mzp at uicsg.UUCP mzp at uicsg.UUCP
Thu Apr 26 17:08:00 AEST 1984

#N:uicsg:19900001:000:987
uicsg!mzp    Apr 26 01:08:00 1984

[--]

HELP!

I am trying to do index entries in troff inside floating keeps (there's
a mouthful for you).  What I've got is something like this:

.(z
\!.(x f
\!1-1.  Figure title
\!.)x
\
.sp 48
.ce
Figure 1-1.  Figure title.
.)z

The -me manual says that the \! should make the index entry page numbers
correct (i.e. for the page on which they are printed instead of the page
on which the floating keep is encountered).  However, whenever I troff a
file with these things in them (it doesn't fail on table of contents entries
not within keeps, strangely enough), it dies, apparently when it is about
to output the figure.  I get some wonderful error message like 'temp file
space exceeded.'  Tells me a lot, eh?  When I remove all the lines containing
\!, there are no problems.  PLEASE, if ANYONE knows what the hell is going
on here, PLEASE send me mail (notes take a year to reach us).  Thesis
deadline is approaching!!

Thanks in advance,
Mark Papamarcos			ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsg!mzp